Saturday, April 28, 2012

Adam Smith II and III

A while back I brewed a beer, all grain, that I dubbed "Adam Smith." Unfortunately, I did not keep track of the ingredients I used or the process I used, so I am unable to perfectly recreate it. I have been able to piece together a vague understanding of it, so today Anna and I are going to attempt to brew a beer that, while not quite Adam Smith, will come somewhere close to it.

This attempt will be hampered by two facts: 1) My left over yeast from the Adam Smith has spoiled and 2) I ordered the ingredients a while back. One of the sets of grain is not even cracked, so we will have to make do with the food processor.

Adam Smith II - The Invisible Hand.
All Grain
Yeast - ? The one that smelled best from the fridge.
3 Gallons
6 lbs Gambrinus ESB Pale (base malt, crushed, a little old)
.5 lbs Belgian Aromatic Malt
.25 lbs Briess Carapils
1 oz New Zealand Motueka (.25 First Wort, .5 60min, .25 15 min)
2 oz UK First Gold (.50 First Wort, .50 5 min, 1 oz dry hop)

Stats from iBrewMaster:
Predicted O.G. 1.050 F.G. 1.015 ABV: 4.59%, 52 IBU
Actual O.G. 1.053.

Mashed at ~151-153F for 60 minutes. Added the First Wort hop additions around 50 minutes into it. Had a second pot of water boiling alongside. I left the stove on low, and that kept the temperature about stable.

Adam Smith III
All Grain
Yeast - Safbrew S-33 Dry Ale Yeast
3 Gallons
6 lbs British Golden Promise
.5 lbs Belgian Aromatic Malt
.25 lbs Breiss Carapils
1 oz UK WGV (.5 60 Min, .5 15 min)
2 oz UK First Gold (.5 FWH, .5 5 min, 1 oz dry)



This one got a little too cool once I added the grain - about 145 degrees. Slowly brought the temperature up to ~153, added the First Gold.


Okay, so Adam Smith II has so far done fairly well - the Adam Smith III is showing some problems. The F.G is around 1.023, and the O.G. was much lower than 1.050, so this is going to be a mild brew. In addition, I aerated it while transferring into the secondary, since I thought it was a stuck fermentation. Well, it wasn't, so I just aerated a finished beer. Bad news. I'm going to do 1/4 cup sugar for the ASII, and 1/3 for the ASIII, in case I took too much CO2 out while aerating it. This could be bad news.

No comments:

Post a Comment