Sunday, April 29, 2012

Star Trek: The Next Generation I

Little and I have just finished (re)-watching Star Trek: The Next Generation, except for Nemesis and a couple episodes I just could not bring myself to rewatch (Shades of Grey, Aquiel). It was a fairly long process, spanning a couple months (I think?), unlike things like Buffy, where we just chewed through them. Both Little and I got distracted from finishing, moving between series (the most recent being Little's obsession with Korean Dramas). But, after watching All Good Things on Thursday and Generations/First Contact/Insurrection yesterday, we made a final push.

Some brief thoughts:
Generations was a lot better than I remembered it. Not nearly as good as First Contact, granted, but probably the best of the 'odd' movies. The weakest part of the story was the attempt to unite the two crews, but I guess that had to be done. Picard was exceptional, though I wish he and Guinan had advanced their relationship a bit more. She, as is often the case, was just the mysterious guru used to advance the plot. Her escape from the Borg was an interesting aspect of her character, but we didn't get to feel any of those implications. Data was a little too much of a sideshow, and they didn't really follow up on the implications for Geordi and his relationship after Data fails to save him.

The weakness of relationship development runs through the movies, I think. The characters who are defined primarily by their relationships to the major characters - especially Beverly, but also Geordi - become non-entities. Movies also seem to be weaker for advancing interpersonal relationships, which is probably the reason I prefer TV to movies. The exception is Deanna and Riker starting in Insurrection - that was good fun.

Perhaps more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment