Saturday, August 14, 2010

Imperial Porter

So! I decided to throw pretty much all of my left-over ingredients from my last batch, on top of an english bitter recipe. What I ended up with is probably something like a porter, only more. So I'm calling it an Imperial Porter. If it's good, perhaps this will be the one I will call the Walter Williams Patriot Porter, and give him a 22er of it. If it's bad, then, well, it's bad.

Here are the ingredients:


Mothafucking Porter

¾ lb Black Patent Malt
2 lb Crystal Malt
6 LBS Light DME
5 lbs Dark LME
.5 LBS Corn Sugar
.5 oz Crystal Pellet Hops 3.1AA boil
1 Kent Golding Pellet 4.5% AA full boil
.5 Fuggle 4.0% full boil
.5 Kent Goldings 30 min
1 KG 15 min
.5 Crystal 15 min
.5 Fuggle 10 min
.5 KG 8 min
.5 Cascade 7.5AA 5 min

60 minute boil.
Estimated OG - 1.103
Estimated FG - 1.034
Actual OG - 1.095
Actual FS - 1.032
ABV - 8.5%
IBU 26.21

Put it in the primary August 3rd, but in secondary on August 10th. Still there.

August 18th I bottled it, priming using RAW brown sugar and oxygen absorbing caps.

UPDATE ON THE ELBRO NERKTE (My Way Brown Ale)

It's been bottled about two weeks now. It was flat after 4 days, but after 7 days it was well carbonated. I brought a couple to a party, and it got favorable reviews. The flavor seems to be changing as time goes on; initially it was almost like a mild with a slight hop character, but recently the roasted flavor has been becoming more prominent. It's not a bad beer, especially a first one, and considering I let it sit in the fermenter only 4-5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment