Monday, July 11, 2011

The Rocky Mountain Ale

So, I want to get a record of my most recent concoction: The Rocky Mountain Ale/Porter. It is based off of the "Goat Scrotum Ale" in The Complete Joy of Homebrewing. Here is what I used:

5 lbs plain dark malt extract (I think 3 lbs were builk, 2 lbs Breiss)
1 lb crystal malt
.25 lb black patent malt
.25 lb roasted barley
2 oz Cluster hops (60 minutes)
.5 American Fuggle (finishing - 5 or 10 minutes)
1 c. Brown Sugar
1 c. Molasses
2 tsp Gypsum
0 Corn Sugar (the recipe called for 1 lb - I thought it would be alcoholic enough)
3 oz fresh, grated ginger
2 oz dry ginger
2 oz licorice root (dry)
3 large red peppers
1 oz dried juniper berries, crushed
3 oz unsweetened Baker's chocolate
Whitelabs 012 London Ale Yeast

O.G. 1.066
F.G. 1.017
Estimated ABV: 6.43%

The DPA is a very good beer, but so far this one is my favorite. When it's cold it doesn't taste any different from a normal porter. When it warms up a little though, the red pepper and the ginger come through really well. There's a slight tang of dark fruit, with a combination of spice, ginger, and juniper numbness. I like it quite a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment